14 Aug 2011

Best results yet on 8.76kHz earth mode

8.76kHz earth mode signal in 45mHz BW at 6km
This morning I slightly changed my VLF low input impedance tuned preamp by increasing the tuned circuit Q and gain of the first stage by around 6dB. After lunch I did a test at 6km from home to see what effect this had on the S/N of my 5W beacon. In a 45mHz bandwidth (previously 11mHz) I was getting a signal around 18dB S/N using Spectrum Lab on my 80cm square loop on the ground. With an earth electrode antenna the signal was marginally weaker and the noise level higher.

My signal is the steady carrier (with a 2min ID break) at 8.7605kHz. The large wobbly line is interference, but who or what is the signal at 8.754kHz? This is rock steady and appears to key on and off every 5 minutes. It looks like some sort of control signal, or is someone else near Cambridge testing?



No comments: