9 Jan 2012

Optical setback (of sorts)

RX set-up at Nine Mile Hill on 481THz tonight
Flushed with my local successes (0.4km) last night, I decided to have a go at looking for the GB3CAM optical beacon 32km away from a local high spot where I know others have copied it sending its 1/15kHz FSK sub-carrier data at 481THz (red light). I set up in the daylight so I knew where to aim approximately and had the PC ready with SAQ receiver (0-22kHz SDR) and Spectran all ready. After dark I started to seriously hunt for the elusive signal    .....but with no success.

Failure can be put down to several possible causes:
  1. Difficulty in aiming. Although I knew where to aim, I am uncertain that my spotting scope is correctly aligned on the 100mm optical head and that there is no parallax error. Looking for a very weak signal is therefore hard to start with.
  2. Inadequate sensitivity in the optical head. Although I could hear the 50Hz buzz from every street light and house light locally, maybe there is another 6-12dB to be had in basic sensitivity in the optical head.
  3. Inadequate volume on the recovered baseband audio. I was monitoring the "live" feed with just a crystal earpiece attached to the head and, although this is fine at home and down a quiet street, it was too low a level to hear weak signals over the traffic noise from the main road which adjoined the field gateway at the RX location.
  4. Path loss. According to G4HJW, the beacon keeper, the signal varies from 5-30dB over noise at this location, assuming one is aligned correctly. Although the weather was cloudy and good visibility there was drizzle that came in as I was testing.
  5. QRM from car headlights. As cars came along the main road near the test site, I got quite bad buzz from their headlights.
So, not to be beaten, I will do things to address all these problems and try again quite soon. I think I need a better local test beacon that I can use to (a) check aim, check RX sensitivity and adequacy of the recovered audio.

No comments: