16 Jan 2013

Back on 137kHz TX

QRSS and CW beacon TX for 137.685 kHz
Today I went into the shack with the intention of making a new transverter for 137kHz based on my recent design for 472kHz.

Instead, I ended up building a new CW, QRSS3 and QRSS30 8W beacon transmitter using an IRF640 PA device. This evening and overnight the beacon will run QRSS3 on approximately 137.685kHz and I have requested reports and screenshots.

The antenna being used is my 20m spaced earth-electrode pair set-up used very successfully on 472kHz last weekend. On 137kHz signals are much weaker than on 472kHz, so I await reports with interest.

The whole unit runs quite cool when housed in a plastic box. Switches on the front of the boxed unit allow up to 7 pre-programmed messages to be beaconed at varying speeds. As normal, I use the K1EL beacon chip for the beacon message generation. The signal source is a 3.579MHz crystal in a divide by 26 circuit implemented in a PIC like device and kindly supplied to me by a French amateur Francis F6HSI a few years ago.


No comments: