10 Jan 2014

In praise of the FT817

My FT817 (not ND version) has been owned from new way back when these radios were new "on the block" at the beginning of the millennium when the price was still £799. In all that time it has performed faultlessly, mainly at the 2.5W or less settings.

Mine has worked the world on SSB (even handheld) and I get WSPR reports worldwide at 1W, even on 40m with a small wire antenna. I  intend to buy a new FT817ND soon so I can WSPR and work other modes at the same time. I can honestly say my FT817 does all I want and with 5W maximum output, which is more than enough power to work DX without upsetting the neighbours.

The best UK price currently seems to be around £513 but I hope to pay <£500 cash. At the current Yen-Pound exchange rate more like £450 is a reasonable price, unless the dealers want to be greedy. I hope the price includes the NiMH battery pack , charger etc. At best, the UK price fell to below £350.

The newer ND version covers 5MHz and all of 7MHz and has more rugged PAs.

4 comments:

Dick said...

My current FT-817ND has been with me a couple of years. This one will not be sold. Perfectly happy with it for my cw-only operating. Don't have to go into the menus frequently. The 500hz cw filter the only option installed. I wouldn't wait for an updated version. Don't think one will be coming soon. Maybe next cycle peak. 73 Dick

Anonymous said...

Roger- How does the 817 hear on LF .... 2200m ? Preamp needed on LF?

Steve / VE7SL

Anonymous said...

Have you seen this amazing stand alone WSPR (and other modes) transmitter kit. Does audio to 30Mhz and you can add a cheap GPS module for greater freq accuracy. About 150 mW output and it only costs £17.50 !!!!

Anonymous said...

Whoops sorry should have added URL
http://www.hanssummers.com/ultimate3.html