6 Feb 2014

TCXO-9

Yesterday,  I have received a TCXO-9  0.5ppm TCXO to fit inside my FT817. This has come from G3WKW, an old colleague, on loan. He may need it back.

In the next few days I hope to fit this to see what difference it makes, particularly on 6m and upwards. Stability should be much better ( x2).

I think it just plugs into a socket on the FT817 but may need to be netted against WWV or a GPS locked VHF beacon, after giving it time to stabilise first.

Has anyone tried this TCXO?

3 comments:

g4fre said...

After resisting buying one for a long time I eventually gave in and got one. It made the 817 useable on 144MHz WSPR whereas it was peviously unuseable

Dave

Roger G3XBM said...



That is the main idea Dave.I Have used 2m WSPR but the rig drift made it VERY hard work.

Paolo IK1ZYW said...

... and you haven't seen an IC706 WSPRing on 2m!.

Roger, would you mind measuring the RX current increase that occurs with the TCXO? The increased stability might not come for free!