27 Jul 2014

KX3 antenna failure

I read on the M1KTA blog that an antenna lead on one of his Elecraft KX3 units has failed. I know these have seen some harsh portable field use but I would not have expected this.  I have owned an FT817 for close on 14 years and, touch wood, it has never once failed me - still the same PA, same everything.

In my view, the KX3 is overpriced (over here in the UK) and not well built for rugged field use. I don't doubt it has excellent features and an excellent receiver, but it is still over twice as much as an FT817ND which covers DC to blue light, out of the box ready built. The KX3 is a mess for leads, coming out all over the place. The FT817 is neat, rugged, and compact.

For me, the FT817 still wins.

6 comments:

G1KQH said...

I agree the KX3 is major over kill on price over here, someone is making an awful amount of money on this radio?? Also the options add up a major over kill, even a Mic is an option.

We went through the exercise when a friend of mine was interested in buying a KX3, but the FT-897 came out a much better buy, plus it comes with VHF & UHF Bands installed, just like the 817.

Saying all that folk will buy what they like, especially with the lure of easy credit, or the flexible friend, ugh!


73 G1KQH

mike said...

Elecraft has a simple philosophy regarding options, which is "Why should a customer have to pay for something that may not be used?" This leads them to reduce the price of the rig by the cost of the microphone and make it an option for those who want it. Those who only operate CW don't have to pay for it.

The price is more reasonable, although still rather high, when imported directly from the manufacturer, cutting out the local profit-taker.

73 Mike G4GOC

Roger G3XBM said...

In my view, it is an EXPENSIVE, if very good, rig.

G1KQH said...

Yes I agree again, far too EXPENSIVE!

A microphone is peanuts to make, and should be available complete with the rig as standard, not as an addon extra at an extra premium price!

If they can manufacture a 32" Colour TV, complete with an inbuilt DVD player for a consumer price of £200 that in many ways is more technical than a radio. Why should a Ham radio rig cost anymore in real terms??


73 G1KQH

Roger G3XBM said...

Steve, spot on. After market RETAIL prices for some mics are about £10, so to Elecraft the cost price would be about £5 or less. In Europe the KX3 is EXPENSIVE - no argument, simple fact.

Anonymous said...

It's not just in the UK, IMO the KX3 is over-priced in the U.S. too! And that's before you suffer death by a thousand over-priced "options". I can easily afford a KX3. But I didn't that way by letting people have their way with me. The KX3 is not on my radio buying horizon. 73's, David WB4ONA