1 Jan 2015

Sunspots and 2015 predictions

Sunspot number today is 94 and 10m propagation is forecast to be "fair". We'll soon find out just what this means.

I turned on the 10m 500mW WSPR beacon about 15 mnutes ago. Best DX so far this morning is 4L1QX (3299km). I'm still on 472kHz too, but will QSY to the 6m band soon.

In 2015 we might expect the following:
  • Declining sunspot numbers. We could see peak numbers in the 40s by the year end;
  • Possibly a new contiguous 60m band (with a favourable WRC meeting outcome);
  • The USA on 472 and 137kHz properly at last;
  • More interest in optical comms,especially IR and NLOS (non line-of-sight);
  • Possibly world-wide DX on amateur VLF frequencies below 9kHz.
I sincerely hope my health picks up too as I am keen to do field work again.

No comments: