7 Aug 2015

4X1RF (3519km) again spotting me on 6m WSPR

Since lunchtime, 4X1RF (3519km) has again been spotting my 1W ERP WSPR signal on 6m. I am pretty convinced this is E layer, but remain skeptical this is multi-hop Es which is the conventional wisdom. 3519km is a long way for Es multi-hop. This path seems pretty regular so I wonder if some other E layer mechanism is going on? Possibly some E layer chordal hop?  Signal levels suggest even lower power would have been successful such as 250mW or even less. So far today he has spotted me 6 times already. He has spotted me on several days this season as well as last summer. There are a reasonable number of stations active on the 6m WSPR band.

UPDATE 1607z:  Yesterday was one of the worse days I can recall in recent months on 6m and 10m WSPR. Today has been one of the best with plenty of Es on both bands.  Both are "magic" bands and you can never be quite sure what the day will bring.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yet another me me me post :-(
I never see you posting about your receiving achievements.
You only seem interested in seeing who can hear you ?
Do you ever try listening on WSPR to give others some spots ?
Or run a CW skimmer, or one of those qrss grabber thingys ?
Try giving something back the other way please Roger.

Roger G3XBM said...

Actually, I listen and report to WSPRnet 80% of the time on 6m and 630m!!!!! So, I hope you will agree that I do my best to copy and report others and "give something back".

BTW, my name is Roger G3XBM, and I do NOT hide behind "anonymous". No, this is NOT about me, it is 4X1RF who received me and to HIM that any credit should go. The blog is questioning the mode of propagation, which I feel is of general interest.

Now, what is YOUR name please??? Or do you prefer to remain "anonymous" for ever?

You are, of course,, not obliged to read my blog if you don't like it. Judging by the high numbers most days, I hope my blog continues to remain of interest. My recent poor health has rather put paid to field work. This I much regret.

I always try to report what I copy most days. I am still hoping for transatlantic DX n 6m WSPR whether RX or TX.

Jan, OZ9QV said...

Do not worry too much, Roger.

Yes, today I had my first Es QSOs after a move that left me with just a vertical for 6m/2m/70cm HAd a few fun ones into the East, and got my keyer working later in the day.

(Not anonymous) OZ9QV, Jan

Roger G3XBM said...

Thank you Jan and best of luck.

Roger G3XBM said...

Still no response from Mr (remaining) Anonymous. I am sorry you felt compelled to write what you did. I can assure you that I am as interested just as much by what others do as reporting my own modest efforts on the blog. As you may (or may not) recall I have been unwell for almost 2 years now and writing my blog helps me on my slow road to recovery. Your unkind words did not help. BTW, I think I know you.