17 Nov 2015

Australian spots (again) on 10m WSPR

VK2EMA (16558km) spotted my 10m 500mW WSPR beacon at 1028z. This is (I think) the 5th day this autumn that my little WSPR beacon has been copied in Australia. So much for the "poor" 10m propagation! As long as conditions are not too disturbed, WSPR seems to get through on 10m.

UPDATE 1107z:  VK2KRR (16789km) has also spotted my little 10m WSPR beacon several times this morning. So far, 5 spots from Australia on 10m WSPR ths morning.

UPDATE 1205z:  I think the 10m opening to VK has ended as I am only being spotted in Russia at present. Things look hopeful on 10m WSPR for South and North American WSPR spots later. On 6m I guess there is an outside chance of some nearer Europeans by tropo and some more Europeans via Es, although we are well "out of season" now.  I seem to average a single European about once every 2 weeks on 6m WSPR currently.

UPDATE 1225z:  Almost as I was writing the above, my 10m 500mW W5OLF WSPR beacon was spotted on 10m WSPR in Brazil. I have the feeling today is going to turn to be quite a good day on 10m WSPR.

UPDATE 1230z:  I cannot begin tell you how much pleasure this tiny little 10m WSPR beacon has given me. Apart from syncing the beacon time, no PC is needed as the beacon is fully stand-alone. For the timing, I could use the pips on the radio. There is no doubt at all that this has given me more fun than anything in all my years in the hobby and that goes back 53 years. It is excellent value and is very small. It still amazes me that with a low wire antenna this is copied on the far side of the planet.

UPDATE 1345z:  My little 10m WSPR beacon has been copied 6 times already in Brazil today. No USA spots yet.

UPDATE 1458z:  First USA spot was KC1AWS (5308km) at 1444z, which is quite late.

UPDATE1808z:    There have been no USA 10m WSPR spots of my signal since 1500z.

No comments: