7 Apr 2016

The virtues of QRP

As you know only too well, I love QRP.  No TVI, no noisy fans, low electricity bills, etc.. Yes there are times when more power helps - this I do understand. However, most contacts at QRP levels are fun, and this is something that I enjoy.

Our hobby is such that it can be enjoyed in many different ways: if you chose to run 1kW and a beam and rag-chew, that is fine by me. If you like satellites that is fine too. All I am saying is QRP is fun. Two-way QRP is even more rewarding, especially if some of the gear is home made. I like 472kHz as my transverter was designed and built by me. Details are on my website at www.g3xbm.co.uk .

Over the years I have managed well over 100 DXCC countries with QRP SSB. Others have worked far more countries than me. I hope this does not sound boastful: it is intended to encourage others.  Even in the worst years of solar cycles N--S paths are sometimes workable with QRP SSB on 10m.

If you think high power is necessary, may I invite you to turn the power down to 5W?  You may be surprised by what you can still work, even with SSB.

2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

You might be surprised indeed Roger. Just finished my 100 DXCC QRP in 100 days challenge. Worked the world in almost 80 days....

100 DXCC in 100 DAYS QRP Challenge finished

It just gives a example what can be worked with 5 Watt only and just a piece of electricity wire.

73, Bas

Roger G3XBM said...

Nice work Bas. Well done.