4 Aug 2017

6m MSK144 - what frequency to use?

The "old" 6m MSK144 frequency (still used by some) was 50.280MHz but in the latest WSJT v1.8 this is now 50.360MHz. I have been monitoring the "new" frequency since just before breakfast, but nothing spotted so far.

I am beginning to think many who I'd have copied on the "old" frequency have not yet moved. With the Perseid meteor shower I was hoping to catch some activity. Maybe I turned on too late. Even so I would have spotted a few stations by aircraft reflection by now.

UPDATE 1855z: Well, I was monitoring 50.360MHz MSK144 RX all day until just now and not a single spot all day.  I have now swapped to 6m FT8 RX and already spotted a station in Kent.

3 comments:

Jan, OZ9QV said...

Well, the Perseids are supposed to peak around 11 - 14 August, so you cannot be too late.

Vy 73 de Jan, OZ9QV

Anonymous said...

I dont think the new frequency is very popular. Ive worked quite well on MS with MSK144 on .280 in the last week. It does help to be on the ON4KST chat site though!

The past few days though do seem to have been quite poor for MS, but it should start to pick up with the Perseids - which will also bring more operators out!

I'll be testing MS on 50.280 using MSK144 again tonight, so I can say there will be at least one signal on the band!

73
Martin G7MRV

Roger G3XBM said...

Currently looking on 50.280MHz MSK144. The system will be looking overnight too.